Table of Contents
- What is an Outdoor Faucet?
- Importance of Outdoor Faucet
- Types of Outdoor Faucets
- Top 5 Best Outdoor Faucets
- How to Prevent Outdoor Faucet from Dipping
- How to Find the Best Outdoor Faucet?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How is the outdoor faucet installed?
- Is there a need to cover my outdoor faucet during winter?
- How can I prepare my outdoor faucets for the winter seasons?
- Which side should I install the hot tap on, left, or right?
- Can the faucet damage the garden hose if left outside?
- How long does it take for an outside pipe to freeze at 20 degrees?
- What are the consequences if the outdoor faucet freezes?
Purchasing an outdoor faucet with a lot of efficiencies is not an easy task. It takes in-depth research and time to determine which faucets are ideal for your needs. This is one of the sensitive areas, where you need to make an informed decision to avoid problems later.
You want an outdoor faucet that treats you with a good and constant water flow without getting affected by various outdoor weather conditions. Well, you don’t have to spend most of your time and money searching for outdoor faucets. We have found the right faucets just suitable for you.
You can use the navigation menu below to take a whole look at the article. If you have limited time, please check the comparison table to go to our top recommendations. Let’s get started:
| - Brand: Homewerks|
- Dimension: 16.75 x 2.5 x 3.13 inches
- Weight: 1.37 pounds
- 3/4-Inch hose thread outlet
- Brass body construction
- With integral vacuum breaker
|Check Latest Price|
Mueller Industries 103-003
| - Brand: Mueller|
- Dimension: 3.63 x 1 x 2.69 inches
- Weight: 2.4 ounces
- 3/4-Inch hose thread outlet
- Rough Brass
- Neoprene seal
|Check Latest Price|
| - Brand: Prier|
- Dimension: 12.75 x 3.5 x 3 inches
- Weight: 2 pounds
|Check Latest Price|
Liberty Garden 693-2
| - Brand: Liberty Garden Products|
- Dimension: 10.75 x 10 x 42.25 inches
- Weight: 5.52 pounds
- Holds up to 150-feet of 5/8-inch hose (hose not included), 5" rack radius
- Perfect for residential or industrial use
- Features steel construction, durable powder coat finish for weather resistant use, Brass and PVC connector
|Check Latest Price|
American Valve M71QT
| - Brand: American Valve|
- Dimension: 5.5 x 1.45 x 2.85 inches
- Weight: 10.4 ounces
- 3/4" MIP inlet
- Quarter turn for easy operation
- Ball valve design for reliability
- Full port for maximum flow
|Check Latest Price|
What is an Outdoor Faucet?
Most homes are equipped with outdoor water faucets attached to exterior water flow. The faucets are used for watering needs such as watering your lawn, washing your automobiles, or washing your garden tools when connected to tap water.
Outdoor water faucets can be called with other names such as hose bib, spigot, water outlet, but they all mean the same thing. Water from outside is delivered using a hose connected to the outlet opening.
Importance of Outdoor Faucet
You need to consider installing an outdoor faucet as summer approaches. They are ideal for your outdoor chores and are convenient for making work easier. Outdoor faucets can give you plenty of benefits that make your installation worth your money and time. Some of the benefits include:
1. Watering your garden and flowerbeds
Outdoor faucets provide a convenient way of watering your flowerbed or lawn hassle-free, instead of using a sprinkler system that is bound to break and give you unplanned expenses. You need to use your outdoor faucet to save you some energy, time, and money.
After spending a long day watering your garden, you must get dirty. This is where your faucet comes in handy because you will use it to wash. So don’t wait so long to install an outdoor faucet. Contact your plumbing expert to get it installed immediately.
2. Washing your Automobiles
Have you ever wished to wash your lawnmower but you lack a convenient water supply? Whether you have used your lawnmower in your garden, don’t get worried, you can wash it using your outdoor faucet before keeping it.
An outdoor faucet saves you energy and time you might use filling the buckets to wash your lawnmower. You can conduct a deep cleaning on your automobiles to prevent the engines from blocking. Your automobiles, such as lawnmowers, can gain back their shiny nature.
Types of Outdoor Faucets
Outdoor faucets come in different varieties, thus catering to your several outdoor needs. Let’s look at some of the types of outdoor faucets;
- Spigot: Spigot is a greatly used outdoor faucet, and they are used for various purposes. Most of them are made from brass and steel for durability. You can repair these compression valves easily in case you find some leakage.
- Frost-free: This is a common type of hose bib or outdoor faucet. It is widely used in cold areas, and it is the best option for the spigot. This faucet is equipped with a metal tube preventing water from freezing and protecting the water valves.
- Ball valve: This type of outdoor faucet provides you with an excellent water flow at an effective point of price. They are equipped with fitting valves, and they have valves that allow effective water flow.
- Yard Hydrants: This outdoor faucet is widely used in large outdoor areas that get water supply from outside sources. These are tall water pipes fitted in the ground allowing water to flow steadily after pulling the handle.
- Anti-Siphon: This type of outdoor faucet provides essential services to particular outdoor locations where the spout is connected to a good water supply line. This kind of valve prevents water contamination and keeps the water very clean.
Top 5 Best Outdoor Faucets
1. Homewerks VFF-ASP-C19PA
Homewerks outdoor faucet has very smart features with high performance, and it shines very brightly for watering your garden. The faucet is equipped with a back siphon protecting the pipes from freezing in cold climatic conditions.
It has an in-built vacuum barker that allows water backflow and they always come with ¾ -inch hose brass body outlet. The non-frost sillcock is free from corrosion due to the brass structure. It is quite easy to install its pipe thread.
Generally, Homewerks has a warranty of 3 years and a freeze-proof faucet design with both local and international certified performance.
- The faucet is robust and durable.
- It has great value.
- Easy to install
- Prevents freezing problems
- Provides high-quality service
- It has a fragile plastic handle.
2. Mueller Industries 103-003
This is an exceptional outdoor faucet for your kitchen. It is safe on hand because it is certified by law lead standards. The water from this faucet flows faster due to ¾ inch hose thread brass outlet. The faucet comes with one handle for opening and closing without any hassle, so it’s easy to maintain.
It is constructed with rough brass for durability and long usage. It has pipe threads for smooth fitting. It has several features and amazing quality at an affordable price for outdoor use.
- Great design
- Suitable for domestic use
- Simple to fit
- Great and amazing quality
- Excellent DIY option
- Not great for potable water
3. Prier P-164D12
Prier outdoor faucet has an excellent design for bathroom use. Its outer iron pipe size body is made of solid brass. Additionally, they come with an in-built 4-degree angle for an effective speed of drainage.
Its in-built drainage pitch has an extensive integral brass with five full hose pipe threads for robust and solid hose water connection on the bathroom. They have an anti-siphon vacuum breaker with a backwater valve to remove freezing or cracks.
- Simple and easy to fit
- Very quiet outdoor faucet
- Large handle for effective use.
- The faucet can be twisted easily.
- Low quality
4. Liberty Garden 693-2
Liberty Garden Outdoor Faucet has the perfect hose bib, which can hold up to 155 feet for water transfer. It is considered to be the best outdoor faucet for lawn care. The faucet has a rack radius of five inches and 5/8 inches’ hose thread.
You can use it in any weather condition because it comes with durable coat powder. It is accompanied by a single handle and can be mounted perfectly on a compact soil. The faucet is ideal for steel construction and long-term advantages.
Liberty garden outdoor faucet comes with a warranty of 3 years, hence, you are guaranteed quality performance.
- Perfectly built hose stand
- Can be used easily
- Sturdy in construction
- Excellent quality
- Poor customer service
5. American Valve M71QT
American valve outdoor faucet is a highly rated water product designed to serve your outdoor water needs. The outer surface is coated with a brass finish giving it a great outlook and excellent rust resistance. The valve is designed with ¾ inch MIP port, which ensures no interruption in water flow.
Quarter-turn ball valve handle enables you to operate smoothly while working outside your lawn. The handle is made of solid stainless steel, which prevents it from warping after heavy continuous usage. Its extended hose thread makes it the best outdoor faucet for your garden.
The valve is made up of solid brass and other quality materials, making it last for many years. It is ideal for human water consumption because it has insignificant lead material. You can greatly assure that the valve cannot cause a dipping problem because of its O-ring seal. Easy to install because it has a huge pattern that fits on any water supply line.
- Easy to install
- Prevents dipping
- Ideal for water consumption
- Quite expensive
How to Prevent Outdoor Faucet from Dipping
Dipping is a very big problem that needs to be resolved urgently; otherwise, you can waste a large amount of water. Nevertheless, it is very easy to stop the faucet from dipping. You only need necessary tools to achieve it, such as:
- Multi-head screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver
- Assembly washer
- Pliers and adjustable wrench
Follow the following steps to stop the outdoor faucet from dipping:
Step 1: Turn off the primary water supply, which supplies water to the outdoor faucet. This is known as begging.
Step 2: Tighten the nut to solve leakage because the retaining nut sometimes gets loose, leading to dipping. Do not tighten the nut too hard because it might break.
Step 3: If the leaking problem is not solved by tightening the nut, you should dig deeper and remove the nut situated below the faucet’s handle. If the corrosion freezes the nuts, use lubricant, screwdriver, and flexible pliers to unscrew them.
Step 4: Take out the valve of the outdoor faucet from the tap by using your wrench. Remove the assembly washer situated in the house’s inner end after taking out the valve using a multi-head screwdriver.
Step 5: Then, separate the valve from the faucet handle using a screwdriver and remove the nuts. You should replace the old nut assembly washer to avoid further leakage. Replace your packing string faucet with a durable graphite string.
Step 6: Finally, put back everything into the faucet after reassembly. Then tighten the nuts using the adjustable wrench. Turn on the water after assembling everything and find out if there is any dipping.
How to Find the Best Outdoor Faucet?
It is very difficult to find a suitable outdoor faucet because you need to consider various features, high quality, and product control. The faucet is essential for outdoor plumbing equipment. Outdoor faucets have undergone modifications and enhancements, and there are top-notch outdoor faucets in the market.
The main problem with outdoor faucets is dipping due to rusted gaskets and assembly washers. You can fix the dipping problem by simply following the steps outlined above. However, you have to be very cautious when choosing an outdoor faucet for your garden. Ensure it is of high-quality and it can help you conserve water.
Here are some of the significant aspects you need to consider when purchasing an outdoor faucet:
- It should robust and simple to set up: High quality is a significant factor to consider. Some manufacturers always make faucets of low quality just to finalize them. You don’t wish to replace the faucets regularly. So when you choose to purchase this kind of gardening product, it should be strong, rust-resistant, and high-quality.
After determining the strength of your outdoor faucet, you must set it up for use. The water faucet must be easy to install and use immediately. Or you can hire an expert plumber to set it up for you.
- Efficiency: Before you purchase any outdoor faucet, you should consider its efficiency and quality. A high efficient outdoor faucet produces water efficiently, and it is durable due to its quality. To maintain the efficiency of your outdoor faucet, replace inefficient ones regularly.
- Design: Choose a simple design that you can use easily. Select a faucet with easy open and close design coated with aluminum or stainless steel. Additionally, do not forget to check on the traditional looks. You can also pick a faucet with a comfortable design for your home garden.
- Conservation of Water: One of the essential factors to consider when purchasing an outdoor water faucet is the water-saving feature. The chosen faucet should help you conserve water in your garden because they are particularly designed to conserve water. This reduces the amount of water wasted.
- Performance: Consider buying an outdoor faucet that performs better. To prevent your water pipes from cracking or freezing during cold weather, pick one that provides anti-siphon, in-built vacuum roller, and sillcock pipes, which are frostless.
- Safety: Go for brands that consider safety as their top priority to avoid freezing issues. Plus, consider safe designs and effective performance. Ensure you take note of the safety measures before heading to the market to purchase an outdoor faucet.
- Check on prices: Price is an important factor when choosing an outdoor faucet. You understand that more price faucets come with additional functional features. Therefore, take your time to save enough money to purchase your desirable outdoor faucet. This ensures that you enjoy the performance of your tool for a long time.
- Care and Maintenance: When purchasing any garden appliance, you need to think of its maintenance. Most faucets get damaged frequently, so buy a strong and durable product.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How is the outdoor faucet installed?
It is quite easy to install an outdoor faucet by following some critical steps appropriately. First, drill a place of your choice using a driller, then make an extensive hole around the area you have drilled. Then set the pipes for water transfer. Ensure that during this time, your water is turned off.
After setting up the pipeline, insert your outdoor faucet using a plumber putty and drill the screw in tightly. This is how an outdoor faucet is installed.
Is there a need to cover my outdoor faucet during winter?
When the weather turns cold during winter that freeze water, it is important to cover outdoor water faucets with an insulator to prevent freezing. This stops the damaging of the faucet from frost.
How can I prepare my outdoor faucets for the winter seasons?
When you are using outdoor faucets, it is essential to get prepared for the winter seasons. This enables you to prevent the faucets from getting damaged if they freeze up. So to prepare effectively for the winter seasons, first turn off the internal water supply.
Drain out the water left in the pipe by opening the outside faucet. After draining the water from the pipes, it is advisable to cover the faucet with an insulator until the freezing chance passes.
Which side should I install the hot tap on, left, or right?
This question is disturbing if you are not keen. You need to use a lot of your brain to know which side the hot tap should be placed. But no need to worry because this is simple; according to our understanding of the faucets, the new one will be placed on the different side of cold ta water. Therefore, the ultimate answer is that you should put a hot tap on the left side.
Can the faucet damage the garden hose if left outside?
Yes, it can damage the garden hose; although they are made of robust materials, the freezing temperatures can crack the hose. So it is advisable not to leave the garden hose outside when the climate temperatures are below zero degrees Celsius.
How long does it take for an outside pipe to freeze at 20 degrees?
You risk your pipes freezing if the outside temperature goes beyond 20 degrees if the pipes are not well insulated. The pipes covered with insulators of low quality can freeze after about 7 hours below 20 degrees.
What are the consequences if the outdoor faucet freezes?
Most people wait until the outside weather changes for them to realize that the outdoor faucet has frozen. That is the period when frost eases, and thaw starts. You can see the damages if you turn on the water supply.
When the water expands from frost, the frozen outdoor faucets can split at the stem. The result is that water will be sprayed from the damaged pipe leading to water wastage.
Our review list and buyer’s guide can help you if you are in dire need of an outdoor faucet. We have extensively covered a wide range of outdoor faucets to ease your choice of selection. So you should stay positive and choose an outdoor faucet based on quality.
Select the brand with the most helpful and useful features. So you need to conduct in-depth research to have ideas on an ideal outdoor faucet. Most of the common thing is check on quality, durability, and price. Let your selection depend on that.
Finally, we assure you that the best outdoor faucets reviewed above cannot disappoint you because they are durable and perform effectively. We are hopeful that this guide can help you make an informed decision on the best outdoor faucet for your garden.